Friday, November 17, 2006

Why I love Sofia Coppola more and hate Kirsten Dunst less

If you saw Marie Antoinette and did not like it you have two options; go and try again because there is something you missed or stop reading now. If you have not seen Marie Antoinette, stop reading and go to the movies now.*

I had anticipated this film for quite some time and my excitement was not deterred by poor reviews. This is a terrible way to see a film. High expectations nearly always lead to let down. Thankfully not the case with Marie. She held up to all expectations and I was quite pleased.

This being said, I am not here to talk about the movie**. From time to time I am asked, as a hair dresser, who in the industry I look up to. This has always been a difficult question for me to answer. I respect and admire numerous hair dressers that have come before me as well as many of my contemporaries, but there has never been that one out there that really gave me something to shoot for. Someone that I could look to for inspiration in artistry and career path, that I could still relate to on some level. Mind you, in an industry that I would say (without official statistics) is 80% women, probably 95% of those at the top that I could look up to are men. The hair for Marie Antoinette was styled by Odile Gilbert, a French session stylist whose work I have always respected. Until recently had never considered how amazing she is. She is one lady among many men that can do the caliber of work that she can do. She has perforated the boys club of editorial and session stylist and then went on to style brilliant film that is having a huge impact on fashion and the world of pop culture. For this, I feel I finally have an opinion on the subject.***



And, she is French.


*Blanket apology for my current bossiness.
**All evidence to the contrary.
***Just having an opinion is typically more important than what that opinion is.

By the way, I do love Sofia Coppola, and hate Kirsten Dunst, but that wasn't really the focus.

I'm sure you figured that out.

I'll go now.

4 Comments:

Blogger NVMBR said...

I hear only really cool guys go to that movie. It's just what I hear.

2:44 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

I'm adding this to the list of movies to see

3:10 PM  
Blogger courtney said...

Why have I still not seen this? Right now all I want in this world is 2 hours of feathers, frosted cakes and New Order. Mmmm.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

thanks for the recomendation. A group of watched on friday night. It dragged a little at the end, but was incredibly pretty and a lot funner than I thought it would be.

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home